Chia seeds For Weight Loss
There are many benefits of chia seeds. Although studies are small supporting chia seeds for weight loss, there are numerous other benefits chia seeds can offer.
Chia seed information
- Chia seeds come from the desert plant Salvia hispanica.
- Chia seeds are a whole-grain food.
- Chia seeds are gluten-free
- Chia seeds have a mild nutty flavor, they can be added many dishes.
Chia seed nutrition
- One ounce of chia seeds has 137 calories.
Chia seeds are a good source of
- omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fiber.
Chia seeds are also a good source of,
calcium-18% of the RDA
manganese-30% of the RDA
magnesium- 30% of the RDA
phosphorus-27% of the RDA
Chia seeds for weight loss?
- Chia seeds can be part of a well-balanced diet that should include whole grains.
Whole grains are recommended as part of our diet. The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend diﬀerent amounts of calories and foods according to your age and activity level. Overall, the Guidelines recommend that all Americans make half or more of their grains whole grains. For everyone age 9 and up, this means eating 3 to 5 servings or more of whole grains every day.
Whole grains such as chia seeds contain fiber which can make use feel full. This can assist in weight loss.
Chia seeds are a good source of protein. We know that protein can help us feel fuller in between meals.
Chia seeds have a low glycemic index. Compared to refined grains, chia seeds will not cause an insulin surge.
One study listed below did not support chia seeds for weight loss
Reference European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2010) 64, 436–438; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2009.159; published online 20 January 2010 Reduction in postprandial glucose excursion and prolongation of satiety: possible explanation of the long-term effects of whole grain Salba (Salvia Hispanica L.) V Vuksan1,2,3,4,5, A L Jenkins1, A G Dias1,3, A S Lee1,3, E Jovanovski1, A L Rogovik1 and A Hanna4,5
More recently, a study out of the University of Toronto supported chia seeds for weight loss
- “University of Toronto researchers have found that a small daily dose of chia seeds can help obese diabetic patients lose weight while maintaining good blood sugar control.
- The study is the first to show that seeds can reduce weight, and it suggests that in people with Type 2 diabetes, a diet-based intervention can produce weight loss comparable to some diabetic medications.”
- “The researchers found that people who consumed 30 grams (about one-third of a cup) of chia seeds daily over six months lost four pounds, compared to weight loss of about half a pound for the control group (who received oat-bran and inulin fibre, shown to lower body weight and LDL cholesterol and improve glycemic control). Both study groups followed a calorie-restricted diet.”
- “Vuksan and his colleagues also found that chia seeds produced a 40 per cent reduction in low-grade body inflammation associated with cardiovascular risk (measured through C-reactive protein levels), and a beneficial increase in satiety-related hormones.”
Health benefits of chia seeds
Decrease risk of heart disease
As I mentioned, chia seed is a type of whole grain. Whole grains have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. This is part of the reason why they are recommended by the American Dietary Council.
Chia seeds are gluten free
This is important for those people who do not tolerate gluten. Chia seeds can be a source of a whole grains without exposing one to gluten.
Chia seeds are high in calcium
For those people who stay away from diary, chia seeds can be a good source of calcium.
How to eat chia seeds?
- Chia seeds should not be eaten dry if you are eating a large amount.
- Note that Chia seeds expand when placed in fluids.
- Try to avoid taking more than a 1/4 teaspoon of chia seeds at a time if you are eating them dry.
- There is a concern that they form a gel if taken in large quantities.
Chia seed concerns
- Keep in mind that chia seeds expand in fluid.
- People with swallowing problems are at risk for impaction, or the chia seeds getting stuck.
- Chia seeds should be soaked rather than eaten dry a tablespoon at a time
Chia seeds for weight loss
If you are looking to buy chia seeds for weight loss or just enjoy them as part of a healthy well balanced diet, Amazon sells them. I think the best buy is Viva Naturals – The FINEST Raw Organic Chia Seeds, 2 lb Bag (Packaging May Vary)
This article reviews the different brands that Amazon sells.
Chia seeds recipes
There are a number of recipes that are made from chia seeds.
Chia seed pudding
1/4 cup of chia seeds
3/4 cup of almond milk (unsweetened) or coconut or soy milk
Mix and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Optional ingredients that can be added
1 tbsp. cocoa powder or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Honey or maple syrup (1-2 tsp)
Garnish with nuts or fruit.
Can refrigerate for 48 hours.
If you use unsweetened almond milk this is a great low calorie low sugar snack that is high in fiber, calcium, protein and whole grains.
Chia seed smoothie
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 medium banana, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup chopped fresh mango
2 cups chilled unsweetened almond milk
Blend for 30 seconds
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. chia seeds per 4 oz serving
Mix the marinade and place the salmon into a freezer bag.
Marinade for at least an hour if not overnight.
Grill the salmon until it flakes with a fork
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- add dried fruit and nuts
Mix the ingredients, place into a baking dish and place in the refrigerator up to 4 days
Chia berry jam
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- Soak chia seeds in water for 10 minutes
- Place all ingredients in a blender for 15 seconds at a time.
- Store the chia jam in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
There are many ways to add chia seeds to everyday foods,
- Add chia seeds to your favorite pancake or muffin mixes.
- Add to your favorite salad dressing.
- Use chia seeds as a cereal, salad or sandwich topper
- Garnish yogurt and fruit bowls with chia seeds.
- Add chia seeds to the breading when baking fish or chicken.
- Take your favorite snacks and add chia seeds such as bananas with peanut butter garnished with chia seeds
Sweeten the recipes
- If you like a sweeter taste then add a small amount of honey or maple syrup.
What do you think of chia seeds for weight loss?