People in a relationship are usually healthier and live longer. There are health benefits to being in love or involved in a healthy relationship.
Those who are involved in a relationship are generally happy. People seek the comfort of others and being involved in a relationship gives a sense of worth.
People who are in a relationship usually have less colds and require less doctor visits. They usually also require shorter hospital stays. This makes sense, if you have someone who cares about you then they are likely to speak up if you are not taking care of yourself.
- A positive relationship can make you feel connected and happy causing an increase in the feel good hormones. This helps lower stress.
- People who are married tend to have less risk of depression. Perhaps being involved with someone keeps you busier. You may be less likely to lie in bed all day if you have to answer to somebody.
- A good marriage is not the only relationship that makes us healthier. Any relationship can give a strong sense of connection or bond which offers health benefits.
- The very act of hugging can increase oxytocin.
- A good relationship should also help lower stress during difficult times, you have support to get you through this time.
- A good relationship takes work but it also shows that you can communicate which helps break down barriers. Those who are not involved in long term relationships may feel more isolated at times.
- A strong sense of connection helps us live a bit healthier.
What about new love?
According to WebMD,“There’s no evidence that the intense, passionate stage of a new romance is beneficial to health,” says Harry Reis, PhD, co-editor of the Encyclopedia of Human Relationships. “People who fall in love say it feels wonderful and agonizing at the same time.” All those ups and downs can be a source of stress.It takes a calmer, more stable form of love to yield clear health benefits.”
Sadly, I have seen people do almost anything to get discharged home from the hospital and I have seen the opposite as well. Some people are reluctant to leave, perhaps their home life is not so happy.
I am not sure that it is love or the sense of belonging. Having friends, being involved and enjoying life is as important as any other relationship.
What benefits does love give you?
Sharon T McLaughlin MD FACS Is the founder of Health and Beauty Facts.
This content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for
professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Information has affiliate links but only high rated products are listed.