What is the difference between an antiperspirant and a deodorant?
- Antiperspirants control sweat by preventing sweat from reaching the skins surface by blocking the sweat glands. An antiperspirant also reduces the bacteria.
- Deodorants work by reducing bacteria but they allow us to sweat.
What are aluminum salts?
- Aluminum salts are the active ingredient in most antiperspirants. They control sweat and are the only active ingredients that are approved by the FDA for use in antiperspirants.
- Aluminum is excreted by the kidneys. Aluminum can accumulate in patients who have kidney disease.
Are there any dangers with aluminum salts?
- There has been some controversy to whether aluminum in antiperspirants increases risk of breast cancer.
- The CDC reports “researchers at the National Cancer Institute a part of the NIH are not aware of any conclusive evidence linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates food, cosmetics, medicines, and medical devices, also does not have any evidence or research data that ingredients in underarm antiperspirants or deodorants cause cancer.”
Labeling on deodorant and antiperspirants
All day protection-The FDA only requires that a brand cut back on sweat by 20% to advertise “all day protection” on its label where “extra strength” only has to cut down on wetness by 30 percent.
The benefits of using a natural deodorant
- Natural deodorants can provide an alternative to using aluminum.
- Although aluminum has not been shown to cause breast cancer and we learned that it is impossible to avoid aluminum exposure why expose yourself to more aluminum than need be.
- Natural deodorants usually avoid harsh ingredients depending on the ingredients chosen.
- Look for a product that uses natural essential oils rather than synthetic.
- Natural deodorants can also help heal and protect the skin depending on what ingredients are used
- Made in small batches
- Does not cause irritation like other baking soda deodorants
- Aluminum-free, Paraben-free, Propylene Glycol-free, Phthalate-free
- Scented with pure essential oils – no fragrance oils
- Shea and mango butters soothe and soften
Listen to the Video chat with Shawna Hearnes founder of New Leaf Naturals discussing the benefits of a natural deodorant.