- Let reevaluate our weight loss challenge.
What have we learned about weight loss over the last couple of weeks?
- We know that increased weight increases our risk of heart diease, high blood pressure, diabetes as well as certain cancers.
- We need a specific goal
What is your goal?
- Use the Supertracker to estimate how many calories you should be eating a day
- Identify how much weight you want to loss
- Remember you should only loss one pound week, at most 2 pounds.
- If you lose too fast you are more likely to gain the weight back.
What is you obstacle to losing weight?
- How will you change this?
- What are your substitutions when you are eating too much?
- Keep track of what you are eating.
- Plan on journaling
Should you select one diet plan over another?
- The literature does not support that you are more likely to lose weight with one diet verse another.
- The most important factor is sticking with a diet plan.
- Learn more about different diets on this post.
What type of foods should you be eating?
Ensure you are eating enough protein
- Protein is important to preserve lean muscle.
- Learn more about the importance of protein her on this post.
- Here is a post on incorporating more protein into your diet.
- Avoid added sugar to cut back on the insulin spikes.
- Sugars can increase inflammation which increases our risk of heart disease.
- Learn more about sugar on this post.
Decrease your intake of processed foods
- Processed carbohydrates that have a high glycemic load causes insulin to spike.
- Try to eat food with low glycemic index to help curb your appetite.
- Learn more about glycemic index and glycemic loads here on this post.
Ensure you are eating enough fats
- Our bodies need fat.
- Fats can help us feel full for longer periods of time.
- Ensure you are getting enough fat in your diet.
- See more to learn about the benefits of fats at this post.
Does it matter if you skip breakfast?
- Eating breakfast does not appear to make a difference with weight loss.
- Those who eat breakfast tend to be healthier with less cardiovascular disease.
- Learn more about skipping breakfast on this post.
- Those who have 8 hours of sleep are more likely to lose weight than those who have less than 6 hours.
- Here is a post about sleep deprivation and weight loss.
- Here are some tips for a better nights sleep on this post.
Increase your metabolism
- Increasing our metabolism will make it easier to lose weight.
- This post covers some tips on increasing our metabolism
Build muscle mass
- It is important to build muscle mass.
- As we lose weight, we lose both fat and lean muscle.
- Lean more about the importance of building muscle mass.
- Decrease belly fat
- It is important to reduce belly fat.
- Belly fat has been associated with chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Lean more about belly fat on this post.
- No, the literature does not support that water intake increases weight loss.
- Drinking water is healthy for us.
- Learn more about drinking water on this post.
Are you an emotional eater?
- Do you eat when you are bored or feel stressed?
- Make an effort to control the stress in your life.
- Work on substitutions for food.
- There are some helpful tips in this post.
Falling off our diets
- Know that it is all right to fail.
- There will be day (s) that you may not adhere to your diet, that id okay.
- You can start again.
- Evaluate why you are having a hard time sticking to your diet.
- Is it too much at one time?
- Have you limited yourself to much.
- Are you being realistic?
- Learn more about falling off the weight loss wagon here.
Join our weight loss challenge to get more weight loss tips.